You may not have heard of it, but Apache Cordova is an open-source mobile development platform that enables you to create applications for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone devices.
Let’s take a look at why you should learn Apache Cordova and how to get started with it.
Table of Contents
Learning Apache Cordova Online: A Student’s Guide
What is Apache Cordova?
Apache Cordova enables developers to create native mobile applications using web technologies, making them available on multiple mobile platforms such as Android, iOS, Windows, and more.
It is based on the open-source Apache Cordova Project, which is part of the Apache Software Foundation.
This allows developers to create applications with access to native device features. Additionally, Apache Cordova provides access to hardware features such as GPS and Bluetooth, which can be used to create applications that utilize these features.
Apache Cordova also provides a platform for developing mobile applications that are more secure than web applications. By using Apache Cordova, developers can create applications that are able to store data locally on the device.
This allows applications to be more secure, as the data is not stored on the server. Additionally, Apache Cordova supports a range of security measures, such as the encryption of data, which helps protect data against malicious attacks.
By enabling access to native device features and providing a secure platform, Apache Cordova is an excellent choice for mobile application development.
Apache Cordova Learning Resources
If you’re new to Cordova, it can be a daunting platform to learn. Fortunately, there are many great online resources available for developers who want to learn and become proficient in Cordova development.
Here’s a guide to the best Cordova learning resources.
- “Apache Cordova 4 Programming” by John M. Wargo is a comprehensive guide to building applications with the Cordova platform. It covers the development process from the basics to the more advanced topics.
- Another great book is “Apache Cordova in Action” by Raymond K. Camden and Brian Rinaldi. This book provides an in-depth look at the Cordova platform and walks readers through the development process.
- If you’re just getting started with Cordova, the official Cordova documentation is a great place to start. The documentation is split into five sections, each covering a different aspect of the platform: getting started, platform guides, CLI reference, API reference, and tools.
- YouTube is a great source for Cordova tutorials, with many creators providing helpful, step-by-step instructions. I recommend the Cordova series by Steve Griffith.
- Apache Cordova Tutorial: Developing Mobile Applications with Cordova – AppsRhino
- Apache Cordova: Exploring the Advanced Features – NICCS
- Applying Apache Cordova and PhoneGap – Oreilly
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Apache Cordova still used?
Is flutter better than Cordova?
Is Apache Cordova free?
Yes, Apache Cordova is free. It is an open-source project released under the Apache License 2.0, which allows anyone to use, modify, and distribute the source code for free. It is supported by a wide community of developers and users who contribute to the project.
What is Apache Cordova used for?
In conclusion, learning Apache Cordova can be a great way to gain the skills required to create mobile applications. Apache Cordova provides a versatile platform for developers to create cross-platform apps quickly and efficiently. With its easy-to-use mobile development framework and its vast range of plugins, Apache Cordova can be a great way to get started creating mobile apps. Additionally, online tutorials can be an invaluable resource that novices can use to learn the basics of Apache Cordova and get the most out of its features.